Join our Family
Southwinds provides various ways in which volunteers can support our efforts to enrich the lives of the individuals we serve. These include working with individuals in their homes, assisting with our special events, or serving on our Board of Directors. By sharing their time and talents, our volunteers are a vital link between our individuals and the communities in which they live. Volunteering roles include:
- Special Friend/Special Family Volunteers · Volunteers (and sometimes their whole family!) develop an ongoing one-to-one relationship with an individual who has similar interests. Careful matching of volunteer and individual is followed by training and regular consultation with Southwinds’ staff.
- Skill/Talent Volunteers · Volunteers share a skill or special talent with one or more individuals. Volunteer commitment can be on an ongoing basis or just long enough to complete a project. Examples include crafts, gardening, sports, music, needle arts, holiday baking, etc.
- Home Project Volunteers · Groups of volunteers can assist Southwinds by completing a house project such as painting or landscaping or other home improvement.
- Special Event Volunteers · Volunteers serve on the committees that plan and execute Southwinds’ special fundraising events, or provide assistance on the day of the event.
- Board of Directors or Committee Members · Volunteers serve on Southwinds’ Board of Director or a board committee, sharing their knowledge and expertise in areas such as financial or investment management, human resources, law, fundraising, etc. as well as a personal interest in improving the quality of life for developmentally disabled adults.